Apr 29, 2010

Chapter 17

Three weeks had past since Sheila’s accident. Charlie had made sure that she was as taken care of as possible, and instructed Chad to call him (in emergencies only) if he needed help. Chad was also told to make sure that Sheila kept her appointments with a therapist, and watched to make sure the sleeping pills stayed out of the house. She started taking a anti-depressant which was helping her get back to a regular quality of life; sleeping normally, taking care of herself, and getting back into her work. She had been hired by a band Frank heard about, and was getting them prepped for a European tour.

Charlie and was swimming in the pool with Jean Marie on Saturday morning. They had spent the last few days preparing for a party, to celebrate Terry and Charlie’s album release. The songs they had recorded in the home studio piqued the interest at their old record label, and they agreed to release their album internationally. It was called Bastard Songs, because they couldn’t decide who would get to billing on the album. Terry had told the label executives, “Since we had both worked on the songs, in a true collaboration, they have no true parent, so Bastard Songs.” It was released this morning, and early reports were that it was selling off the shelves.

In the past, the band would have made an appearance on a television show, or sat in a crowded record store to sign autographs, on the day of an album release. But with Terry still ailing, and Charlie wanting to be by Jean Marie’s side as much as possible, they decided to have a private party at the house.

Charlie held her shoulders as she floated in the water of the pool. She was now almost six months pregnant, and though her belly wasn’t full grown, she had started to be kicked by the baby and was experiencing the common difficulties of pregnancy; constantly needing to pee; being unable to sleep comfortably; getting hungry and then getting nauseated.

However, she remained as positive and up beat as possible. It wasn’t hard to do, as Charlie was doting and caring over her as much as he could be.

She put her feet down in the pool and stood in front of Charlie. She kissed him on the cheek and walked up the steps. He followed her, and helped to towel her off. The party would start in a few hours, and there were banquet tables set up by the pool, and soon the caterers would arrive with plates and platters of food, and bowls of punch and bottles of drinks galore. This was the time to relax, so that the excitement of the party and the energy of the day would not become overwhelming.

They made their way up to the bedroom, and she went into the bathroom to take a shower. He pulled out some of the clothes he had thought about wearing that day, so he could show her what he was planning on wearing. She never told him what to or what not to wear, but she enjoyed seeing him make a fuss about things as frivolous as party outfits, and he enjoyed making her happy in these little ways.

The phone rang, and it was Terry calling to say that they were also getting ready. Lana was also thinking about clothes, and Terry asked if Jean Marie would call her back to discuss outfits with her. “Girls,” he said. Charlie didn’t tell him he was going to have the same type of discussion with Jean Marie.

After the showering and the wardrobe consultations, Jean Marie went downstairs to help the caterers and to greet the guests as they arrived. Frank appeared first, again bearing gifts. This time is was a present for the baby – a soft, crocheted blanket of yellow yarn, outlined with a satin ribbon. Terry and Lana then came in. Lana had decided to wear a red pantsuit, made of silk. It looked like an Asian business suit, except that it had a jacket with only two buttons and the pants came just to the middle of her hips, to let her pregnant stomach show underneath. Terry was in a black, tight fitting t-shirt and grey silk pants. He had on his black sunglasses, and with his hair so closely shaved looked like an Italian rock star. Jean Marie had conferred with Lana about her outfit, as well, and was wearing a turquoise kaftan, with a gold and silver ribbon detail on the edge.

“It is comfortable and breezy, but doesn’t look like a muumuu,” Jean Marie told Lana, who agreed with the choice.

“Lana, you look fabulous! I love your hair, it looks wonderful up in that bun.”

“Thanks, I went to the salon to do it – I didn’t want to fuss with my hair. You look great too, very regal! How do you like Terry’s look?”

“I was thinking, European Rock.”

“Exactly.”

Terry hugged Jean Marie, “Oh, you two. Why don’t you go play with your paper dolls!”

“That’s what husbands and boyfriends are for, dear,” Lana told him, with a wink.

Charlie had decided to wear a green button-up shirt, and khaki Bermuda shorts.

“You guys could be from two different continents today,” Jean Marie commented. “Terry is from Italy, and Charlie’s from the Caribbean!”

“God, let’s hit the hors d’ouvres before they want to paint our toenails,” Terry said to Charlie.

Later the party would include Aaron and Twig, and their girlfriends. Tim appeared with his wife, Lynne. J.B. Parker, Peter Smith, and other musicians Charlie had befriended also came to the party. The songs from the album were playing in the background, and people were making connections with each other. Terry paraded Lana around, showing her off to anyone who would pass by, feeling proud of the woman and the future child he had in his life.

After a while had passed, Frank had the DJ stop the music, so he could make a speech to the crowd.

“Ahem,” he said, catching their attention. They started to quiet down, and he said “I just wanted to say a few words before we cut into the cake over there.”

Terry shouted out, “There’s cake? Hurry up!” getting everyone to laugh.

“Alright, calm down old man. Just a few words.” The group was quiet again. “A few years ago, let’s say 15 to be kind to those of us geriatrics in the group, I was brought in to see a band play at this dive of a club in Westbury. I had been told that the group was ‘a good one,’ but they had a tendency to over-sing and over-play everything. This was true. I listened as they butchered the hell out of a ballad, and then butchered the hell out of a cover song, and on and on. They new I was there, and wanted to meet me. So, I obliged and went backstage after the show. This kid, who was going by the name of The Wizzard introduced himself to me, and said his name with a straight face.”

There were giggles in the crowd, and Aaron nudged Charlie in the ribs.

“The Wizzard said that their band, Accelerator, was a phenomenon, and proceeded to tell me all the ways they were going to take over the world. Huge tours, massive concerts, smashing albums. I could feel the energy of his words taking over me, and although the business side of me was telling me to get the hell out of this dive and away from this clearly insane person, the music fan in me wanted to know more about him. I guess that’s how history is made – ignoring your better judgment and listening to your heart. Although, I made damn sure that he stopped calling himself The Wizzard – Charlie – and I also taught them the difference between a love song and a slam dance. Now, I am glad to know that Charlie and Terry have so matured to the point of being able to put aside their egos, and instead have learned that the point of relationships is not to simply let them explode and then sweep the leftovers into the corner. The point is, to make a long story short, to take a look at what made things explode and to harness that energy into something much stronger than what you had before. So here is to future success, world domination, and to Terry and Charlie!”

The crowd cheered and shouted, “Terry and Charlie!”

Terry hollered out “To explosions!” and as if on cue, the DJ put on the song Pay Day from their first album:

Honey see me walking down the street
Lookin hot, got no time to be sweet
I’m workin’ every day of my life
For Pay Day – yeah, that’s right


Girl I’ll take you out for the night
Show you a good time, I’ll treat you right
But don’t you plan on stickin’ around
For Pay Day – I got my feet on the ground


I need money
I don’t need too much
I want your money
But I don’t need your love


I got a Pay Day coming
Ooo, right about now


Baby it’s time you learned the rules
My life goes fast, and I sure ain’t a fool
And when I’m gone, you won’t be around
It’s Pay Day, when my back is on the ground


I won’t forget it, all the fun I had then
My memories will be my only friends
Can’t live my life by the book (oh no way)
I live for Pay Day, that’s the way it’s meant to be


I don’t need money
Baby it’s bringing me down
I don’t need money
Lord, just let me rest in the ground


I got a Pay Day coming
Ooo, right about now.

No comments: