Lana and Jean Marie watched the two men walk off into the studio, and found themselves sitting in silence. Jean Marie smiled at Lana and asked her if she wanted a drink.
“I’ll just have some soda, if you have any?”
“Sure thing.” Jean Marie got up from the couch and made her way into the kitchen. “Oh – is diet ok?”
“That’s fine.”
“Good – looks like we’re out of the hard stuff.”
Jean Marie returned with a bottle of water for herself, and the soda for Lana. Handing the can to her, she asked “How are you doing, you know – with Terry’s cancer?”
“Thanks for the drink.” Lana took a sip from the can. “It’s pretty hard to think about it.”
“I’m sorry, if you don’t want to talk about it, that’s fine with me.”
“No – it’s alright, I don’t mind talking about it. In fact, it’s better I think to talk with people about it. Kind of like free therapy, you know?”
Jean Marie smiled at her. “I just don’t know how I would be handling things, if I was in your place.”
“Well, I don’t even know how I’m doing it, personally. Terry, for all of his faults, is such a sweetheart. I think that no one really knows that side of him, and maybe it’s because of the cancer or maybe because the band broke up.”
“He’s let his guard down?”
“Exactly. I didn’t know him before he started singing for Accelerator. But I do know what his reputation was like, from all the things I’ve heard and read about him.”
“How did you meet?”
“It was fate, I guess. He walked into my bar and ordered a gin and tonic, and when I handed it to him I said ‘There you go, governor,’ just mouthing off at him. And he asked me if I was from England. I laughed – I haven’t even left this country and I’m 37, I told him. We started talking, and he took me out to dinner the next night. I guess he swept me off of my feet.”
“I know what you mean. Charlie, he’s such a charmer when it comes right down to it. All he would do when we first started getting to know each other was go on and on with these ridiculous and hilarious stories about the band. I think that’s how he melted my heart – he’s so good natured and funny.”
Lana touched the thin gold bracelet on her left wrist, and said “Terry gave me this just a couple of days before he found out.”
“What happened? How did he know he had cancer? I mean, what made him go see the doctor?”
“Oh, it was awful. I was staying with him that night. In the middle of the night he sat up in bed, and I heard him making these moaning sounds, and kind of breathing really hard. I turned on the light and he was pale and sweaty, so I called 911. I thought it was a heart attack. The doctor just touched his stomach and Terry doubled over in pain. Then they did an ultrasound and found several tumors.” Lana put her hand to her eyes.
“I’m so sorry, Lana,” Jean Marie said, as she reached over to her, placing her hand on her knee.
“I know. It’s ok. It is just so overwhelming sometimes. I see him on days and he just lies there. The pain must be terrible sometimes, but I guess he loves me too much to show me. He’ll just go off into the study, or say that he’s going to take a bath and stay in the bathroom for an hour.”
Jean Marie got up from her seat and grabbed a box of tissue on top of the mantle. She handed the box to Lana as she sat down next to her.
“He’s a really great guy, huh?” Jean Marie asked.
“He’s just wonderful, you know? I love him.”
“I’m sure you do – you take really good care of him. That’s all he needs from you, you know? To know that you love him.”
Lana nodded in agreement.
“Listen, do you want to go get some ice cream? I am having the worst cravings right now, and could use an excuse to get out of the house for at least a couple of minutes.”
“Sure, ice cream sounds great right now.”
Terry and Charlie pounded out song after song from their glory days together, in Charlie’s studio. They started with some more recent tunes, and found themselves trying to remember the lyrics and melodies to the first songs they ever played together.
Charlie’s hands were developing new calluses from all of the playing. He held his hand up to show Terry. “Look at this? This is ridiculous. Shows how little I am getting to play, nowadays.”
“Oh, I don’t know. I’ve heard you’ve made quite the living recently from all of your collaborations. I told you that I really liked that J.B. Parker tune you made. What was it called?”
“Liked it that much, huh?”
Terry laughed. “Wait, I’m being serious. I did like it. Didn’t it go something like this?” Terry strummed out a slow couple of chords on his guitar, while Charlie listened on. “Is that it?”
“Yeah, you’ve got it. Now, A major. Good. E. Excellent.”
“Thanks, teach. I think I’ve got it now.”
Charlie threw a wadded up napkin at him. “Don’t be so insolent, young man.”
“Come on, Charlie. Sing this one. You got me crying all the time…”
“No, it’s You’ve got me crying all night long, you bad bad girl.”
“Yeah, man!” Terry egged him on, playing a little louder now. “Sing it, pops!”
“You’ve got me crying all night long, you bad bad girl.
Chord change!
I can’t stand to see you running, leaving my heart on the curb.
You’re a tear jerker, baby.
Making me cry like I do.
You’re a tear jerker, baby.
Making me cry like do.
I’ve be crying so long, baby,
Like I don’t know what else to do.”
Terry wrapped the song up with a quick bluesy ending. “Marvelous. That’s a great song, Charlie. We need to write something now.”
“Are you serious? You want to lay down a track or two?”
“I don’t know – are all these microphones and recording devices just drawn on the wall or do they really work?”
“I get your point. Well, we’re going to need some refreshments. What do you want? Or, maybe I should say what can you have?”
“Probably even better to ask what can’t I have. Nothing too salty, or rich.”
“Hmm. How about some water and bread?” Terry rolled his eyes at this suggestion. “I know! How about some ice cream and root beer?”
“Take it easy there, you’re sounding like a teenage girl now. That sounds great, though.”
“Ok, I’ll be right back.” Charlie hopped out of his stool, and rushed out of the studio, jolting himself by the sudden exposure to sunlight. Covering his eyes, he made his way into the house and announced, “Don’t mind me, ladies. Just getting some provisions.” In his excitement he didn’t notice the lack of a response, as they were out getting their own treats.
He charged his way into the kitchen grabbing glasses, the near empty tub of vanilla ice cream, and two bottles of root beer. Quickly assembling the floats, he then placed them on a tray, and grabbed several water bottles and a bag of unsalted potato chips. “This should do it,” he said to himself. He charged his way back out to the patio and into the studio.
“Ah, looks great, Charlie.”
“Here,” he handed him a float, and set the tray on the floor.
“Where’s the spoon? Or do you have a straw?”
“Oh, damn, I must have forgotten them. Do we need that stuff? Can’t we just sip it?”
“Sure, I’m game if you are.” Terry waited and watched as Charlie tried to take a sip of his float. Charlie’s eyes were wide open as he tried to keep the glass tilted enough to sip some of the root beer, without slamming the ice cream into his face. It was, however, hopeless.
“Great moustache!” Terry shook his head at his poor friend.
“I’ll be right back,” and Charlie went back out to the patio bar, grabbed two straws and some large serving spoons, and presented one of each to Terry.
While eating, they brainstormed about what kind of songs they would like to write. Charlie suggested another blues tune, and Terry requested a rock ballad.
“There aren’t any good rock ballads out there, anymore. At least nothing that gets played on the radio.”
“Well, we can write one up. Why don’t you start playing something, though, and we’ll just see what happens.”
“Ok.” Terry polished off the last bit of foam at the bottom of his glass, set it down and picked up his guitar. He started at first strumming some chords, and then plucked out the notes in the same chords.
“That sounds nice,” Charlie said.
Terry continued playing, feeling inspired, and began to sing a bit to the music.
“Isn’t it enough?
Is it too late, now?
Did I go away too long, and did you find me out?
Isn’t it enough?
Or am I already late?
You slipped away, nothing more I can say
Isn’t it enough?”
“That is a fucking hit, man.” Charlie said.
Terry opened his eyes and smiled at him. “Go get in the fucking sound booth then, you bastard. I don’t have all day.”
Charlie got up and went into the booth.
Terry said to himself, “Oh wait – I do have all day. What am I saying?” Charlie heard this, and laughed.
Out at the ice cream shop, Lana and Jean Marie were making their selections.
“I’ll just have a single scoop of the chocolate, in a cup please.” The clerk behind the counter set to work on her order.
“That’s it?” Jean Marie asked her.
“Yeah, I can’t have too much or I’ll be way too hyper.”
“Oh,” she nodded at this. The clerk handed Lana her cup of chocolate ice cream and a spoon and turned to Jean Marie.
“I’ll have a triple scoop – better make it a banana split – with two scoops of vanilla and one scoop of mint chocolate chip. Extra hot fudge on top, no whipped cream. And three cherries, please.” She felt Lana’s eyes staring at her, and she turned and said “I am eating for two, you know.”
Lana laughed, and said “I know! I’m just surprised! You’re so tiny, and I can’t imagine how all that will fit into tiny you.”
“Well, you won’t have to imagine it in a few minutes. I’ll let you watch!”
“Ok, and maybe you can give me some pointers.”
Jean Marie paid for their ice creams and waited for her banana split. “Pointers on chowing down on some ice cream? Please, I’m a pro.”
“Well, that and eating for two.”
Jean Marie turned completely around and stared at Lana. “You’re joking?”
Lana shook her head. “I just found out two weeks ago.”
“What does Terry think about this? Is he elated?”
“I haven’t decided how to tell him just yet. I want to make sure I’m ok, you know?”
Jean Marie flung her arms open to Lana and gave her a huge hug. Lana had to stoop down a bit to reach Jean Marie’s shoulders, and gave her a kiss on the cheek. “Thank you, I needed to tell somebody.”
“Well, it’s wonderful news, and you should be very happy.”
“It’s just such an impossible time, you know? I can’t believe it, still.” She started to cry, and Jean Marie quickly pulled out some napkins from on top of the ice cream counter. “I should get one of those dispensers, you know?” They smiled at this little joke, and Jean Marie’s banana split was presented to her.
“Mmm, yummy! Let’s go sit outside, the air will be good. So, tell me how far along are you?”
“I’m five weeks now.”
“I’ll be four months in two days.”
“Wow! How does it feel?”
“Not too different right now, although I am beginning to feel the first signs of morning sickness. Which, by the way, does not only happen in the morning. I don’t know why they call it that.”
“Maybe it was supposed to be mourning sickness, for the loss of your figure.”
“Too true. I can just imagine how big I’m going to get. Now you – you’re so tall, all that weight can just spread out on you and you’ll still look like a freaking model!”
“I just don’t want stretch marks.”
“Sorry, I don’t think you can prevent them really.”
Lana looked at her half eaten ice cream, and glanced at the banana split in front of her. “Well, in that case, do you mind?” She held her spoon up to Jean Marie, who said “By all means, dig in girl.”
They finished up the banana split, while watching people go by through the strip mall. They saw a woman with triplets go by, pushing all three in a specially made stroller.
“That’s a handful, I bet,” Jean Marie said.
“No kidding. Can you imagine the diaper bill?”
“Can you imagine the feeding?”
“Or the birth?”
“The pregnancy?”
“Ouch.”
“Triple ouch, I’d say.” Jean Marie scooped up some last bits of fudge sauce from the dish, and finishing this then threw her spoon in. “I’m full now!”
“Me too. What do you want to do? Should we head home?”
“Nah, they’re going to be playing in that studio all night long I bet. Want to go shopping for some maternity clothes?”
“You think I should?”
“You’re what, five weeks now? I think you could handle a top or maybe even just some shorts, or something.”
“Well, maybe I’ll just help you pick stuff out.”
“That’d be great – all Charlie ever does is pick out the shirts with horizontal stripes, or the culottes.”
Lana scrunched her nose up, “I guess he must have had a stylist all these years, helping him!”
“I know – but now I have a new shopping buddy!”
Looking at her, Lana reached out and patted Jean Marie’s hand. “Me too. Thank you so much for this. I think I really needed to talk to someone, and you’ve been very nice to me. You hardly know me!”
“Well I know you now, right? Come on, before I lose this sugar high.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment